Borlotti beans are medium to large tan or hazelnut-colored beans splashed or streaked with red, magenta or black; after cooking, however, the specks vanish and the beans take on a more even, darker color. The borlotti bean is a variety of the cranberry bean bred in Italy to have a thicker skin. It is used in Italian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Greek cuisine. Borlotti bean is also known as the cranberry bean, Roman bean, saluggia bean, or rosecoco bean. Borlotti beans are a good source of both dietary fiber and protein, along with micronutrients – magnesium and iron.
In this recipe, I have merged borlotti beans with peanut-sauce to create a wonderful healthy and delicious gravy for borlotti beans.
Peanuts/Groundnuts are rich in essential nutrients, peanuts are an excellent source of several B vitamins, vitamin E; several dietary minerals such as manganese, magnesium and phosphorous; and dietary fiber. Peanuts are also a good source of protein.
(Source of Information: Wikipedia)
Recipe of Borlotti Beans in Rich-Sauce:
Quantity of borlotti beans: approx. 125 gm
- Soak the borlotti beans overnight, cook the borlotti beans in a pressure cooker with adequate quantity of water for up to 4 pressure cooker whistles.
- For the sauce: Grind slices of 1 big onion, slices 2 medium tomatoes, 6 garlic cloves, a generous handful of fresh coconut meat mince, ¼ tsp. of turmeric powder, ½ tsp. of kashmiri chilli powder (kashmiri chilli powder gives food soft red colour with diminutive amount of pungency – you can also opt to use any other chilli powder according to preference of flavour); grind these ingredients using a tad quantity of water into thick sauce.
- Groundnut/Peanut powder: Dry roast a handful of peanuts until the husk begins to peel, grind the peanuts along with its outer husk into powder.
- Sauté the thick sauce in low heat, in adequate quantity of warm, rice bran oil (or any other mild-flavour vegetable oil) until it condenses to a reasonable extent; smidgen the mix with salt – according to preference of flavour, add the peanut powder to the mix, blend the thick mixture with cooked borlotti beans along with the stock (you can also add water if you prefer the gravy in lighter texture/consistency); and simmer the combination in medium heat for about 5 minutes.
A protein-rich vegetarian food gravy with delicious combine flavour of coconut meat and peanuts.
Serving size: approx. 6
This vegetarian protein-rich food recipe of borlotti beans in peanut sauce is an all seasons food recipe for healthy meal.
For healthy meal, enjoy this healthy and delicious gravy of borlotti beans with:
- cooked rice (preferably kolam rice) or chapatti/whole wheat bread/multigrain bread
- a small cup full with buttermilk (preferably at room temperature) – a drink to have in between the meal or after the meal
- raw vegetable salad: recipe of a simple and nutritious salad – Blend finely sliced pieces of a medium spring onion along with the thick portion of its green, slices of a medium cucumber and slices of half section of a small tomato; flavour the salad with a pinch of salt.
Serving size: approx. 2
Alternative → 3 Fiber-Rich Simple Veg Salad Recipes
A healthy meal for both summer and winter season, for lunch and dinner time; and also a nutritious kid-friendly meal.
Wishing You a Wonderful Day