‘Lentils have been part of the human diet since aceramic Neolithic times’ – amazed with this fact, I have given a zesty tempering to a mix of moong dal (green gram dal) and masoor dal (pink lentil).
An exciting recipe of dal:
- Boil the lentils till it softens, the thicker you want the soup the less should be the quantity of water.
- To the vegetable oil add mustard seeds, after the mustard seeds begin to crackle – add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves and pieces of star anise.
- Enrich the mix of whole spices with mashed pieces of garlic, hing (asafoetida) powder, turmeric & chilli powder, and salt.
- Sauté finely chopped potato pieces, finely chopped pieces of green capsicum and coarse mash of tomatoes with the mix of masala.
- After the potato pieces soften – meld the sizzling tadka with the lentil soup.